This young lady above has many qualities. And in saying it I feel trusted as a mother praising her daughter. But I remain in the role and keep saying that I do not say this because I do made it, but because it is true! And if you do not believe it, let’s try her out. And let me know. Wicked mother I am.
We finally found our ultimate vegan shortcrust recipe. Anyway, we have devoured all our failed past tests, of course. But.
We wanted more.
We had a dream.
We wanted a vegan shortcrust should blow a raspberry to the butter shortcrust
We wanted the butter shortcrust should ask us the recipe
We wanted an omnivore should not notice the lack
We wanted an omnivore should ask for the recipe
We did not know it was impossible so we did it.
And finally here it is, our big girl:
THE ULTIMATE VEGAN SHORTCRUST RECIPE
For a tart of 26 cm diameter:
- 350g whole spelt flour
- 100 grams of peanut oil
- 70 grams of cold water
- 2 tablespoons and half of apple cider vinegar
- 1 scant teaspoon of cream of tartar or, if not found, any baking powder
- 1 pinch of fleur de sel
- if it is used to make sweets, organic lemon zest and pulp of half vanilla bean to flavor
- Pour all ingredients in a bowl with high sides and knead
- take the “ball” obtained and lay it on a floured surface and go on kneading until the consistency is smooth and firm.
- Vegan short crust as above
- 500 g of rhubarb stalks cut into small pieces
- 250 grams of brown sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch
- the pulp of a vanilla bean
- the zest of half organic lemon
- few leaves of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to180 ° C
- prepare the filling of the tart pouring all the filling ingredients in a bowl, stir and set aside
- on floured surface roll out the dough to about half a centimeter thick with a floured rolling pin
- set aside a portion of dough to create the network of strips for the decoration of the tart
- line a mold for tarts previously oiled and floured with the pastry crust
- prick the bottom of the cake with a fork
- pour the filling into the dough shell
- create decorative strips with the dough previously set aside and place them on the tart
- bake for about an hour, until golden and firm filling
One of the advantages of this dough is its versatility. You can use it both for sweet and savory preparations. Up to you to experiment. Try it sweet, savory, in pies and tarts, with this stuffing or with fresh fruit of your choice as well. And let me know if you liked it!
See you next time!