Nope, otherwise what I’m doing here, I answer.
You have to know, dear reader, that the sad and gray supermarket shelf will soon be just a dark and sad souvenir for you.
And I’m not done yet. When you will put your hands in this dough you will have the chance to experience the sublime feeling of pluripotency. Yes. That’s right.
Becouse this, ladies and gentleman, is a pluripotent dough.
It has two potential lifes.
Just one dough, one recipe, one bowl, one kneading board for two different breads with diametrically opposed characteristics: soft and easy roll the first, crisp and crumbly the second. Dirtying the kitchen just once.
What makes the difference is the thickness of the dough and the method of cooking, frying pan for the flat bread, oven for crackers:
ONE DOUGH, TWO BREADS: WRAPS AND CRACKERS
For 6 wraps of about 18 cm in diameter and two trays of crackers:
- 500 g of whole spelt flour
- 250 grams of warm water
- 60 grams of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 4 g of cream of tartar
- 4 grams of sodium bicarbonate
- 2 pinches of fleur de sel
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients in the order listed
- work with your hands until dough is smooth and compact
- transfer to a floured work surface
- divide the dough into two equal parts
- let the dough rest by covering it with a sheet of cling film for about 20 minutes
FOR THE FLAT BREAD:
- Take one of the two parts of the dough and shape it into 6 balls
- from each ball, with a floured rolling pin, roll out a layer of about 3-5 mm thick and crop a circle of about 18 cm
- heat a non-stick pan and cook the circles of dough one at a time on medium heat on both sides
- as every flat bread is ready, stack it and cover it with a sheet of parchment paper and a towel to preserve moisture and softness (and therefore the arrotolabilità).
I love filling my wraps with hummus, tahini, vegan mayo, roasted vegetables and salad. This flat bread retain its softness for a full day, the next day its texture changes like any bread but you can slow down the normal hardening storing it in a plastic bag for food.
FOR THE CRACKERS:
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C
- take the other part of dough and with a floured rolling pin and directly on a baking paper sheet, roll out the dough to the size of your baking tray to a thickness of about 2 mm
- transfer the sheet of parchment paper with the dough on the top on the baking tray
- with a dough cutter, cut your crackers according to the shape you prefer . Do not touch them, do not need to separate them
- brush with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel and rosemary powder or seeds that you will make stick to the surface of the dough by pressing them with your palms
- bake until golden brown for about 10 minutes
- once cooled, the ragged line that you have created with the dough cutter will allow you to easily separate your crackers without breaking them.
That day, during our delirium of omni-pluripotency, we pushed over and created a mutant. We called Gris_seed1. Generated from a cross between a flat bread and a cracker, it is a tasty and savory seed bread stick.
PAY ATTENTION! THIS RECIPE IS NOT THE BREAD STICK ONE. THERE IS A TIP TO MAKE SIMPLY PERFECT BREADSTICK. YOU’LL DISCOVER IT IN THE NEXT POST!